Monday 19 January 2015

Simple Slimming Suppers!


       

Hi all, Anna here!

Welcome to my new weekly feature, Simple Slimming Suppers! Basically, 2 weeks ago I started the Slimming World diet and I thought that writing a weekly blog post letting you all know my progress would not only be useful to others following the same diet, but it will also keep me on track, after all nobody wants to admit that they have given up do they??!!

Just incase you don't know how the slimming world diet works, I shall explain.

The idea of slimming world is that it isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle change. You don't have to deprive yourself of the things you like, just eat them in a sensible and healthy amount! I follow the "Extra Easy" slimming world plan, and it really is extra easy. 

Basically you have all your "free" foods, these include fruit, vegetables, most meat and fish, fat free natural yogurt and fromage frais, certain fat free flavoured yogurts, pasta, Cous Cous, certain snack foods such as sugar free jelly and low fat noodles. The list goes on. Your free foods are unlimited, you can eat as much of them as you like (obviously only eat until you are full though). 

Next you have your healthy extras. You have a healthy extra A which is your dairy option such as a certain amount of milk or cheese then your healthy extra b which are things such as a slice of bread, low fat cereal bars etc. 

Finally you have what are called 'syns'. The more unhealthy the food is, the higher in syns it is. Slimming world recommend you have between 5-15 syns a day, I try to stick to the lower end because I have a lot of weight to lose (I won't say how much, a girl is allowed some privacy hehe). You can find the Syn value of most foods online.

Couldn't get much easier could it??! 

I have been doing slimming world for 2 weeks now and have lost 11lbs which I am thrilled about!! So I thought each week I would update you all on how much I have lost that week and in total and I will also post my favourite recipe from that week.

I hope you all enjoy reading the recipes and if you try one and enjoy it, do let me know! Also, if you are doing the slimming world diet and have any nice recipes that you would like to share with me, I would very grateful!!

So here is my favourite recipe from this week..


Slimming World Doner Kebab and Chips! (Serves 2)

Ingredients-

For Kebab-
500g Lean Minced Beef or Lamb (I used beef) (free)
Half a Large Onion, grated (free)
1 teaspoon Oregano (free)
1 teaspoon Mixed Herbs (free)
1 teaspoon Cayenne Chilli Pepper (free)
1 teaspoon dried garlic (free)
1 teaspoon Salt (free)
1 teaspoon Black Pepper (free) 
2 Reduced Calorie Pitta Breads (Healthy Extra B)
4 tbsp Hellmanns Lighter Than Light Mayonnaise (1/2 Syn per tbsp)
Encona Hot Pepper Sauce (free)
Salad of your choice (we used lettuce, cucumber, shredded red cabbage and grated carrot) (free)


For Chips-
4 large potatoes
Fry light
Salt
Pepper


        
 



Method-

For the Kebab-
1) Put the mince, grated onion, oregano, mixed herbs, cayenne chilli pepper, dried garlic, salt and black pepper into a bowl.
2) Work the mixture with your hands, pounding and kneading until all the ingredients are mixed together and there are no air pockets. The mixture should be very smooth.
3) Make the mixture into a loaf shape and place on either a baking tray or in an ovenproof dish.

For the Chips-
1) Peel 4 large potatoes and cut into chips.
2) Par boil the chips on the hob for 5 minutes, take off the hob and drain.
3) Put your chips into an ovenproof dish, spray generously with fry light and sprinkle with salt and pepper.



       

Cooking/Serving Instructions-

1) Place both kebab and chips into a pre heated oven (I put mine on 200 degrees but adjust temperature according to your oven), Cook both chips and kebab for 1 hour, turning both half way through cooking.

2) Toast your pitta breads, slice them open, put on a plate and fill each one with 2tbsp of Hellmanns Lighter than Light mayonnaise (1 Syn per kebab) and as much salad as you like.

3) Cut the kebab into slices and place inside the pitta bread along with the salad.

4) Put the chips onto the plate alongside the kebab and drizze the kebab with the Encona Hot Pepper Sauce (beware, seriously spicy!)

5) Enjoy!





I love this recipe, it feels so naughty and indulgent, but it's actually nearly completely free! Allan couldn't believe he was eating something so tasty when we are supposed to be on a diet! Gotta love a fakeaway!!

Do let me know if you try this recipe, see you next week!!

Much love,
Anna xx